Saturday, December 11, 2010

Webinar Against Diamonds



What’s my new favorite movie? BLOOD DIAMOND. This movie changed my view on diamonds. The once beautiful stone of natural mineral is now a horrible stone of evilllllll. I was really touched by this movie. Seriously. It was so amazing. I can’t get over the fact that this was a reality for some people. Child soilders. Kids hold guns and kill people, they gamble and drink. The only time I drank was in grade 4 when I accidently ate that box of chocolate with rum inside and the only time I gambled was when I played cards for candy and I’ve only had a toy gun before. This movie was about the illicit trade, the illegal trade of diamonds. It showed how some diamonds are REALLY found. Leonardo de Caprio looked like a mugger. He was very attractive in Titanic though. When the father was talking to his son, a child solider, I got sooo sad. It was just crazy. It was so deep and inspiring.



The social and L.A. 10-honours students participated in a webinar with people around the world. This webinar was to discuss issues and ways we can decrease climate change, we were able to see views from people in Cancun, Israel, Texas and other parts of Canada. It was so boring. I’m sorry to say that this webinar was a waste of time. The Texans were so rude! They got up and made funny faces, fooled around and kept making so much noise the whole time the man from Israel was talking and then they all just left the classroom. I really wouldn’t mind having their teacher. That however was the most exciting part of the webinar, talking to the Texans. They were stereotypes and they asked “Do you listen to Lil Wayne?” WOW. We were stuck with them for a while however. They DID mention climate change. ONCE. When they asked about the weather in Calgary and asked what we would suggest they do in Texas to stop climate change. They said some pretty rude things to us, like “Your mom” I wanted to fight back but Ms. Ponce held us back from fighting for our prideeee. Honestly, we wasted 2 periods. I paid attention to the Australians but not really anything else, because everything else was pretty irrelevant. We were talking to the man from Israel and I couldn’t hear a thing. It was too noisy and I couldn’t understand him, He was talking too fast for me to type things in time, I think I didn’t learn much either. We talked about the basic things that were pretty obvious. It was pretty interesting. The Australians were very informative and they helped me learn a few things I didn’t know before. They cleared a few cloudy facts I had. I learned some new stuff. But the background for him was too noisy thus I couldn’t make out most of what he said.


Race Against Time. Some parts were good and make me want to keep reading but honestly most parts made me just want to shoot myself in the head. I had to read a paragraph over at least 2 times because I kept zoning out of the story every few words. IT WAS SO BORING however very informative. The UN laid out a series of eight goals meant to guide humankind in the new century in 2000. It was called the Millennium Development Goals; these targets are to be met by 2015 and are to lay the foundation for a prosperous future. In "Race Against Time, Stephen Lewis advances real solutions to help societies across the globe achieve the Millennium Goals. Through in depth explanations, he shows how dreams such as universal primary education, a successful war against the AIDS, and environmental sustainability, are our grasp. It’s a powerful testimony.

No comments:

Post a Comment