Saturday, December 11, 2010

Let's get down to business~




Monica looks weird in this last photo...

So this time, only Ginelle, Shilah, Monica and Jessica came over. They stayed for a looooooong time to work since now we have 3 days left. Today we all worked hard, actually we PLANNED to work hard but Ginelle only worked this time again. Like yesterday, when they left I worked on my share. I found out new stuff, I found a really amazing story on Tumblr that I thought would be very effective to include. I still have quite a lot of editing to do. A. Lot. Seriously. SO MUCH WORK -____-"I have an IA due soon and guess how much i have done? 0. yes, 0. Hmmm, so busy. I've got no time to work on it but MDG presentation is the #1 priority right now. I've really got to work quickly becasue after everyone left I had edited 4 pages of my universal education slides and I took out the crap and it left about 2 slides.  I think I shortened to much! I calculated how much time each of us would need and we all need to take up about 10 minutes. I rehearsed my information and it was only 3 minutes. 3 MINUTES. aiiiiiiya~ I need 7 minutes of more stuff. That's like 14 slides. OMG i have 4 slides. 4. IB can go to hell. I also have a math quiz tomorrow so I don't have enough time to work on the presentation now.
Here's a bit of stuff I learned today as well! The Nike employees work for about 17 hours a day and 7 days a week. I read the tags of my shoes and they either said 'Made in India/Vietnam/Mexico'. Mister Alger's outsourcing video talked about how when companies outsource, they give companies in foreign countries a chance to get a job and raise money which is better than if the company wasn't there to pay that low salary. Outsourcing also benefits the consumer, me, as well. It gives me products for cheaper. I should be kinda glad but i'm sad that people from my country have to work so hard for such a little pay. I can't believe I lived 14 years not aware of this. I'm sure that many people are like me. UNAWARE. I now understand the point of this project is to simply make people AWARE. Easy said than done.
To take up space, I'll talk about my MDG country, Haiti. This Caribbean country occupies the western half of Hispaniola. An earthquake recently occurred in Port-au-prince this January. In researching, I discovered that Haiti has been living in poverty for quite a while now. They have suffered for the past 500 years due to the government structure. This earthquake had wiped out 70% of Haiti’s schools. It was devastating and I hope to add to the aid that this country essentially requires, even now. I want to learn more about how we can help them out of the darkness.


No comments:

Post a Comment