Saturday, November 13, 2010

Unicef's so fly~



The photos above are of my boxes of Maynard's Halloween Candy and of my Halloween bag. I was putting my box of candy in the cupboards when I saw the words Unicef. I was like " WTF WTF WTF?! " and I read the description in depth. The back of the box talked about how buying this box of Candy, was making it possible for the construction of schools in Ethiopia. I thought to myself  'Good job, mom!' I felt happy cause this was one of the small things I could do to help children in other countries. So i told her to go buy some more & she did. Only 2 more boxes though ): & i asked my cousin's to buy a box to help too! It was the least we could do because everyone needs to buy Halloween candy so then why not kill two birds with one stone? Buy a box of candy and help build schools, while staying in the Halloween spirit. This was so perfect, the funds were directed toward my MDG. I guess this the 2nd thing I did the raise awareness because I told my family members to tell people they know and I also put this news on my facebook group so that my members could see this and possibly buy a box themselves. My halloween bag. The one I've had for years. It had the words Unicef and in small letters, it said "Help change the world." I never noticed this before, i've had this bag since grade 1 and never thought i could do anything to help the world's suffering until this year. This project has given me the opportunity to help. I WILL DO WELL~  I wonder if the rest of the world is almost clueless about third world countries suffering as I was.  I am hoping to change that & educate to the best of my abilities right now! And so, I asked my mom how'd this bag end up with us? She didn't remember. HOW USELESS! Not very helpful info but now I know that there is a fundraising event Unicef is doing about Halloween, yearly~   I researched on google and went to the unicef website. I discovered....


October 31 is National UNICEF Day! Did you know UNICEF’s orange trick-or-treat boxes helped make National UNICEF Day and taught Canadians that they can make a much needed difference around the world. Today, it’s easier than ever to have an impact on the lives of the world’s most vulnerable children. These funds you raised will help UNICEF save the lives of children around the world through  simple solutions. Adequate food, clean water and safe shelter enables at-risk children to survive and thrive, while quality education helps break cycles of poverty and disease. These will all become accessible.


Unicef is mobilising all of its staff and resources in Haiti in an attempt to halt a wide-spread cholera outbreak.
14,642 cases and 917 deaths have been reported, so far. Seven of Haiti's ten regions have now been affected by cholera, with the north being a particularly problematic.This charity is focusing on reaching young people in rural areas and the overpopulated slums of Port au Prince. Half of the population of Haiti is under the age of 18Gruloos-Ackermans, a Unicef Representative in Haiti, said the organization is positioning its stocks in order to cover as much of the country as possible.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Our biggest fear is that cholera will spread through the rural and remote areas, Port au Prince slums and camps, as well as schools and residential care centres, where it will be difficult to fight the disease,"


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
she added. I feel pity for Haiti because they just suffered an earthquake this year January, and now they have way more problems to deal with. Not to mention the political problems they had prior to the earthquake. In January, when I saw the picture of the fresh earthquake, all I did was flip to the page with celebrity news. HONESTLY. How horrible am I? I thought to myself, "Another earthquake? Geeez, mother nature hates us' and then flipped. If I had done that, I wonder how many other people did that? I now know of the deep history that lies beneath Haiti and I wonder if everyone else knows as well. It's been about 11 months since the earthquake, and the first few months, Haiti was in the media everyday. 12 months have pasted and I know for certain that Haiti still needs our aid greatly, but I have yet to see an article about Haiti anywhere! And the only reason I know that Haiti needs help is because I HAD to do research on it for my country MDG presentation. I'm sure that now everyone in the world had to do a country presentation on Haiti so many people aren't aware that Haiti still needs much help. I will try hard to let my community know that Haiti still needs help and will work hard to remind people on the other side of the world know that Haiti needs us. Rizamel had added many of her peers in the Phillipines to my universal education group and I will make sure they get the message through my daily posts~


I will blog about Unicef news in my next post! I still need to take up more space in my blog. G'night!

No comments:

Post a Comment