Monday, November 1, 2010

Drugs and alcohol can wreck a brotha!

  "Oh my crud! Another drug presentation?! Ugh, at least we get to miss class"
Little did I think that this presentation would soon change my life! It was so absolutely inspiring! It really touched my heart and I’m pretty sure that it touched the hearts of everyone else as well. The way he spoken to us teenagers really made us understand and listen because it was sort of ‘street’ and ‘modern’, instead of boring formal and respective speech. I really liked how he was so updated and cool. He understood the troubles some of us face and encouraged us to do something. I think this is the first presentation that I actually paid attention to, ACTUALLY. He came this morning to talk about the issues currently facing teenagers which are as he said so many times, drugs and alcohol. He always went from super duper sad to hilarious. It’s hard to decide how we felt. He started off his lecture by talking about what was cool when he was our age (he is somewhere between the ages of 45-55) and how people were ‘in the old times’.  He talked about how everything keeps on changing today and how our society is gradually becoming worse and worse. “The divorce rate was very low back then”, he said. I think the divorce rate was about 1 in 4 couples back then, and about 3 out of 4 nowadays. He told us the death rate of teens, and what the major causes were and even advised young girls on how to pick a guy you'd like. He said that some guy’s just put on a show and 1 in 4 girls will get abused some way by boys. That’s horrible ):
Here is a google photo of Mr. Creagh~

Anyway, here is some background info on my new idol! Big Milt or more formally known as Milton Creagh is a motivational speaker and a radio talk show host. He was born in North Carolina, but moved to Chicago shortly after. He attended an all black elementary school and then went to a predominantly white high school. He received a lot of scholarships, but his aid it was best to study in the historically black Bethune ‘CookmanCollege’ in Daytona Beach, Florida. It would be easier to fit in, and the school was Methodist, which was the faith he had been raised.  His teacher once said: "You may think you are smart, but if you ever went to school with white kids you would find out that you aren't that smart and you wouldn't be able to compete with them". Mr. Creagh was really affected by this comment and so he wanted to prove his teacher wrong. He did it~

I looked at some photos of how drugs and alcohol can change you and this is what I fiund. Wow, drugs can change your looks a lot and I read that it changes your personality as well. You become more depressed and tired. I'm no doctor, but I recommend you don't do drugs. he saddest part in this lecture was when he asked students to stand if they had family/friends issues that involved alcohol and drugs. It looked like 1/8 of the crowd remained seated. I didn't realize that so many people are affected by this, in my school. It made me even sadder when I saw a lot of my best friends stand up. I really didn’t know as much about them as I thought I did. The lecture has really opened my eyes to a bigger picture. I just wish there was something I could do to help …… OH MY GOSH! I found so many youtube videos on Mr. Milton Creagh! I never knew he was famous~ He made a music video about what is going on with our world and how this is not how our world is supposed to be. A short summary of this song: he raps about how your world is crashing and we need to do something about it. It made me think about how lucky I am to live in peace while some others have so many hardships. This song opened my eyes to a much bigger perspective.  I'm sooooo surprised that he is so dedicated to his work! He really wants to make a change, or so it seems~ THANK YOU MR. CREAGH FOR SUCH A MEMORABLE LECTURE.

"Our choices and our voices have so much power, we need to use it to change our world for the better"
 -Milton Creagh

No comments:

Post a Comment