Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Square One

(September 28)
I have settled on Universal education as my millennium development goal. My reasoning? I believe initiating this goal can help pull a few countries out of poverty. In my opinion, donations are greatly needed but just giving won’t help the children achieve a successful life. If the next generation can become educated, they can go out and pursue their own goals, they can build a new life for themselves. Building schools can give children a chance at life, something everyone deserves! Many children have the potential to succeed but, the chances aren’t within reach. We as a community have the power to help them reach it. Many people complain about school while others have no choice, they cannot go. We should be grateful and take action instead of just feeling sympathy for them. 
Instead of waiting on others to do the work, we ourselves can be those people!
The novel I’ve chosen to read is Stones into Schools By Greg Mortenson. Several summaries regarding this text talked about the hardships the author faced while journeying through Pakistan. He expressed trying to promote peace with books and the importance of education in society. I’m assuming that this book ties in perfectly with my MDG after all, it emphasizes the struggle to develop schools and education in undeveloped countries.
The country I chose to focus on is a
Caribbean country occuping the western half of Hispaniola, Haiti. An earthquake recently occured in Port-au-prince this January. In researching, I discovered that Haiti has been living in poverty for quite a while now. They have suffered for the past 500 years due to the government structure. This earthquake had wiped out 70% of Haiti’s schools. It was devastating and I hope to add to the aid that this country essentially requires, even now. I want to learn more about how we can help them out of the darkness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKCHQR8etyg

 

No comments:

Post a Comment