Saturday, October 23, 2010

Janie and Riza's Day Out~



(October 16)
LOOK HOW HARD WORKING WE ARE ?! 
Okay so today, I went over to Riza's house to work on our MDG project. Monica decided to ditch us HAHA. She gracefully tied my thread and I amazingly customized our bears! They looked so cute <3 I created different personalities for each, ninja bear, girly bear, bow tied bear, manly bear and supa bear! I have a feeling that they'll be sold our really quickly! I am proud of my wonderful creations~ SUCCESS!! Finally, somthing working out!!! Anyway me and riza had a really fun time! She was working on our LA presentation while I answered a few questions with her and contributed to the vocab!!! We finished the presentation and the bears needed a little more touch up cause I decided to redo all the unattractive bears~ Which was almost all of them, I brought them home and finished! YAY! I'm sending the money I raise to UNICEF and Riza, to 'The Lost Boys of Sudan'! We make a really good team, I love being parteners with Riza & Monica too, if she showed up but she said her bears looked really good!
This photo was for humor and spread talk about our bears~
Ms. Majczak let Riza advertise the bears in her class yesterday. I supervised and contributed smiles to the audience from a desk~ We ended up having two buyers and many other promises of buyers too! My surveys proved wrong! We're still persuading others to buy though. Most of them are so picky and don't like green, some even requested for a specific design. I got so many request for specific designs and with the evil teachers bombing me with tests and quizzes, where shall i find the time?! But i enjoy sewing and as long as it's for a good cause, i'll fail anything!!!! AHAH. We made a total of 8 dollars yesterday!! GO RIZA AND JANIE! it feels good when we sell bears. I feel lighter, like a load has been lifted off. I'm sure the people will be happier when they get our donations but, i'm pretty worried because 4 bears made only 8 dollars. i thought we would make at least a total of 70-90 dolars. I can now see the difficulty of fundraising. I feel kinda bad that i ignore some things sent to me when they ask me to buy things in support of something T____T.
Anyway, my booksearch has ended. I found my book at 'Indigo' and it was 30 bucks. I don't really want to buy it because i don't think i'll ever read it more than once so i will try to go and find it at the library, i feel kinda stupid because I never knew you could put books on hold, I can just put my desired book on hold and wait for it to come. I read really fast but my time for fun is very limited. The road to IB is a stressful one indeed. I guess I can just throw away my social life for the next 3 years (:  I already described everything about the book several times so this time, i'll post some quotes from Greg Mortenson and describe my thoughts on them~ I only picked the ones that inspired me though (:


"Educate a boy, and you educate and individual. Educate a girl, and you educate a community. "
I think he means that girls have kids and the potential to learn if given the chance. We can extend our knowledge as well as teach our offspring. The boys usually leave their clan and work in the cities for higher pay but girls become leaders of their clan


"You can hand out condoms, drop bombs, build roads, or put in electricity, but until the girls are educated a society won’t change." 
I don’t really understand this but it seems that he really wants girls to be educated and firmly believes it’s beneficial, unlike many other countries. He means boys start fights and create war while girls are gentle and can change a society for the better. We can bring new ideas and raise our voices.

"In times of war, you often hear leaders—Christian, Jewish, and Muslim—saying, ‘God is on our side.’ But that isn’t true. In war, God is on the side of refugees, widows, and orphans." 
God is on the side of those who need help the most, not those who already have enough in their life. 
I don’t really see as how this ties in with education but my theory is that education would’ve help those people be more successful and not have to go into refugee?

"If we try to resolve terrorism with military might and nothing else, then we will be no safer than we were before 9/11. If we truly want a legacy of peace for our children, we need to understand that this is a war that will ultimately be won with books, not with bombs." 
If we want peace, why do we start wars in order to promote it? Are we really creating peace by starting wars for peace? With education, the people wouldn’t be stupid and try to create war, we’d be one happy family. Everyone has a say and doesn’t need to create bloodshed because they’re too poor or the government is unstable.

"I've learned that terror doesn't happen because some group of people somewhere like Pakistan or Afghanistan simply decide to hate us. It happens because children aren't being offered a bright enough future that they have a reason to choose life over death." 
Children aren’t given a chance at life and grow up in rebellion so they could want to seek revenge.

"And they did it with something that is basicly worthless in our society - pennies. But overseas, pennies can move mountains" 
One man’s garbage  is another man’s treasure. We don’t see pennies as worth much in Canada because we have 100 dollllar bills, but some people in poorer countries see it as alot because some factory workers work for a dollar a day.

"Despite everything that has befallen us, do we not continue to hold the destiny of this shattered and magnificent nation, together with the future of all our children-girls and boys alike-in the palm of our hands?" 
Children are the future, so they should grow up educated to create a better future for the next generation by influencing them.

Here's a video of an interview where Greg Mortenson talked about education and his books and his goals. This described the book very nicely and it made me think of education and why it was a very  wonderful choice that i picked it.  I watched this whole video and I found him really inspiring. His beliefs and opinions really made me think. I think i may have a new idol very soon! (:


No comments:

Post a Comment